Monday, April 11, 2011

What does this mean

Well, I was informed by my recruiter that there were no positions that fit my skills at the current time, but more should open up in June...  To be honest this was a gigantic bummer for me, as I interpreted it as a kindly brush-off, however after a month of reflection, I am beginning to regain hope.  Several other plans (namely Teach for America and Assistant Anglais) did not work out as I had hoped they would, so maybe the Peace Corps is still a viable option?  I would like to believe that everything works out for a reason, that we are guided down a path through life, but belief is not something I like to trust my future with.  However I suppose I trust in belief regardless of what I like or not.

Here is hoping some country needs my skills this June!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what your background or skill set is. Unless it's something really general like teaching English, which from my understanding is the default Peace Corps program, don't take it as a brush off. There's been a huge spike in applicants since the Obama was elected and the economy tanked. It takes a tremendous amount of support to place a volunteer (I remember reading somewhere it's like $50k a year to have a volunteer in country). There's only a certain amount of spaces available so yeah, you might have to wait until one becomes available. My medical process took too long and I ended up missing my original nomination. But I still was invited and I'm leaving in three weeks! You just need patience and perseverance.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Heidi, my medical clearance took so long that I missed my nominated departure date. What was the delay based upon? no one seems to know and there was nothing wrong with my medical packet; I was cleared as soon as it was finally reviewed. I ended up waiting two months past my nominated departure date and when I finally did get an invitation, it was for a departure another five months away. Heidi touched on part of the issue when she mentioned the huge increase in the number of applicants. Concerns about budget reductions certainly must also be a factor.
    Stick with the process, maintain PMA, have patience and things will eventually work out.

    ReplyDelete